Community Care

Tens of thousands of people depend on health care services provided by the NHS and social care services provided by local City and County Councils. Health care and social care law deals with the obligations the NHS and Councils have to the people who need their services in all kinds of situations including in hospitals, in the community, in care homes and in children’s homes. For the most part, the standard of care and support that the State provides is appropriate to meet the needs of those who need help. However, news of budget cuts is common, and the effect of cuts is that there is more pressure than ever on the services that thousands of people rely on to help them get by day to day. Some people can find themselves cut off from the services and support they need to meet their needs.

At MJC Law we are experts in health care and social care law who can help you get the support you need and are entitled to, to make sure you have the best support possible to live your life to the full. Our lawyers have helped people with almost every aspect of health care and social care law including:

  • Community care assessments under the Care Act 2014 and the Children Act 1989;
  • Cuts to care packages for adults and children;
  • Direct payments and personal budgets for care services provided by local authorities and the NHS;
  • Funding for care in the community under the Mental Health Act 1983 for people who have been detained in hospital;
  • Funding for care from the NHS;
  • Getting access to life-saving treatment and avoiding the “postcode lottery”;
  • Drafting advance decisions for the refusal of life-sustaining treatment.

Legal aid is often available to help clients who have difficulties involving local authorities and the NHS, subject to eligibility. If you are not eligible for legal aid it may be possible to fund your case through insurance that you may already have. If it is necessary to pay privately, we can discuss a number of options to find a payment plan that best suits your circumstances.

If you disagree with a health or social care decision and would like more information please contact us.


If you would like to speak to our team about your circumstances, please fill in your details and we will get back to you.