Please note the application process at the foot of this notice. Any CVs submitted without a covering letter will not be considered.
MJC Law are a niche practice specialising in mental health, Court of Protection personal welfare work and community care. We hold 2018 Legal Aid Civil Contracts in both Mental Health and Community Care with offices in Nottingham and Leeds.
Our three directors are eminent in their field, with rankings in Chambers and Partners, Legal 500 and awards at both local and national law society level.
In July 2021 the Firm won ‘Legal Aid Law Firm of the Year’ at the prestigious Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Awards held annually by the Legal Aid Practitioners Group.
Our Vision, Mission and Core Values
The intention of the Directors in founding the business was to provide quality legal services to some of the most vulnerable in society. This included disadvantaged members of the local community and those suffering with mental health problems.
The work is predominately funded by Legal Aid, however, the Firm also offers a service on a private paying basis and is continually looking to find new and creative means for clients to access legal advice and assistance. Despite the challenges of the Legal Aid system the Firm continues to have a strong commitment to Legal Aid work and from this emerged a new Firm vision statement of intent to take the Firm forward into the future:
‘We empower our people to enforce rights and enhance lives through the provision of expert legal advice’
The vision for the future is to be market leaders in our chosen areas of work, to maintain our good reputation in the community and to continue to build good relationships both with clients and referrers of work. The Board of Directors’ aim is to provide strong leadership and direction, to build a sustainable organisation capable of delivering the highest quality of service and which is a stable and happy place to work.
• To provide exceptional legal services for individuals by having a deep understanding of their requirements
• To develop and maintain open long-term relationships and deliver outstanding customer service
• To create an environment that empowers individuals to thrive and exceed expectations
• Excellence – we bring market leading expertise, knowledge and intuition to deliver results that are on time and right for the client
• Straightforward – we make the complicated simple by taking a no nonsense approach
• Practical – we take a flexible approach and provide realistic solutions that work
• Empowering – we provide the tools and support to our clients and colleagues enabling them to succeed
• Fair – we achieve outcomes that are transparent and person-centred in an environment where everyone has equal opportunities
We are recruiting a Court of Protection Lawyer to be based from our Nottingham (Edwalton) office with flexible working arrangements. We are flexible on the level of experience of the applicant and are willing to consider paralegals who have experience of running their own case load, Solicitors or CILEx. The candidate will manage a caseload of health and welfare and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards matters. Experience of Community Care matters would be advantageous.
The full Job Description and Person Specification for this role can be provided on request.
We offer 25 days holiday and an excellent benefits package including:
• Monthly employer contribution into the ‘With Juno’ wellbeing platform
• Death in Service benefit of 4 x salary payment
• Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave pay
• Enhanced shared parental leave pay
• Birthday leave
• Miscarriage leave
• Enhanced child bereavement leave pay
• Enhanced sick leave pay
• Enhanced matched pension contributions
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Puppy and kitten leave
• Duvet days
• Paid time off work for volunteering
We also have a generous bonus scheme and there are opportunities for training and development in our specialisms and being part of the growth of this firm.
We are an equal opportunities employer and actively encourage applicants from backgrounds which are currently underrepresented in the legal profession.
Please apply by sending your CV and covering letter to our Practice Manager, Helen Fanning using the following contact details:
Postal Address: MJC Law, Unit 8, Wheatcroft Business Park, Landmere Lane, Edwalton, Nottingham, NG12 4DG.
The start date can be flexible to suit the successful applicant.